Ron Tonkin Whines about the Smart Car

Having been passed over for a Portland/NW Smart dealership in favor of Kuni, Ron Tonkin whines about the Smart in this mornings Boregonian.


>>>>Monday, July 07, 2008

The Oregonian

Regarding your Business story concerning Oswego Luxury and its problems ("Complaints send cops to arrest auto dealer," July 3), I want to point out that we were offered Smart Cars from G&K Automotive Conversion well before anyone else. However, the price they would have had to be sold for was between $23,000 and $28,000. I felt I could never have faced a client who paid that kind of money for a vehicle that was going to be able to be sold by a franchised dealer in just a few months for $14,000 to $19,000. So I refused that opportunity.

I certainly made the right choice and I am glad I did.

Our dealerships offer clients a choice of a Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris or Nissan Versa at the price of a Smart Car. Those cars have accommodations for four people, have a usable trunk and take regular gas while delivering similar mileage and a lot more comfort.

The Smart Car has room for only two, requires premium fuel and has a trunk that holds little more than a valise. I bought a Smart Car myself just to see if it was all I thought it promised. It is not and I'm selling it. I am pleased we did not obtain the franchise.

As an aside, the city of Portland bought more than one Smart Car at an exorbitant price. I was extremely critical of the city doing so at the time and said so in an interview with The Oregonian. The city made a poor choice with taxpayer money.

RON TONKIN Northeast Portland <<<<

View Original Article

7 comments:

furblog said...

How these smart cars benefit them beside the fact that this got quite an excessive price? Can this still be considered as a smart-buy?

Mozez said...

Hi There, I came across your blog...I think it would be a great addition to my site,come check it out and let me know if you want to be a part of it. all you have to do is just email me the blog URL and a description to become a part of it, IT WOULD CERTAINLY HELP EXPOSE YOUR SITE :-)

http://world4blogs.blogspot.com - check it out

all you have to do is email me your URL+Discription+category and then ill publish your blog (feel free to suggest a category if you want to)

Have a good day

world4blogs webmaster

ymoosa5@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

My co-worker drives a Smart Car. We photographed her with her car and wrote this story.
http://www.askprimerica.com/smart-car-turns-heads-saves-gas-for-a-primerica-home-office-employee%E2%80%99s-daily-commute/

FrankD said...

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a smart car that's got nothing to do with smart, when they can buy a Honda Fit, as I did for the same price. The Fit gets 35 mpg in town and 41 mpg on the highway. Hmm. Smart cars will never be able to go 300k+ miles and will never get any return on the original investment because of the cheap engine. Kind of reminds me of a small AMC Gremlin from the 70's.

samantha said...

Hello very interesting to read ....This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-).
Samantha
You cannot go wrong on the best security systems

car leasing contract hire said...

Smart is a great car to drive and it won't cost you much. Have you ever thought of leasing a smart car? The best smart car leasing companies will lease a brand new smart for £110 per month.
I saw some very cheap car leasing offers at Badger Car Leasing
check it out: http://www.badgercarleasing.com

Motor Mouth UK said...

I wonder how SmartCar is treated by car buying companies?